Chitown Tutoring Job Description
Thank you for your interest in Chitown Tutoring. We are in need of highly qualified tutors. Below is the job description as well as an overview of Chitown Tutoring. If you qualify, fill out the tutoring application.
Who We Serve
We service students from the following institutions:
- Chicago Public Schools
- Non-profit organizations
- Chicagoland Universities
- Online (subject): $30/hr
- Online (test-prep): $35/hr
- In-person (subject): $40/hr
- In-person (test-prep): $45/hr
We at Chitown Tutoring offer STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) subject tutoring and test preparation (ACT, SAT, AP, IB, A-levels, and more). Our mission is to assist Chicagoland students achieve academic and professional success in the STEM fields.
Chitown Tutoring adheres to its mission of providing quality education through comprehensive, rigorous, and adaptable in-person and online tutoring. The core competencies of our tutors are STEM subject-based teaching, having solid experience in conducting lessons in classrooms and through distance learning programs. All tutors are either STEM professionals or are attending top universities majoring in STEM fields.
The benefits of Chitown Tutoring’s services include the following:
- Assist students in increasing their grades in STEM subjects, reduce academic stress, and build confidence.
- Aid students in increasing standardized test scores to gain a competitive advantage in college admissions and scholarship search.
- Help students challenge themselves intellectually, seek wisdom, and become life-long learners.
We are looking for tutors aligned to our mission. We seek individuals that are passionate about working with students from diverse backgrounds and are willing to develop strong relationships with students and their families.
The ideal candidate would need to be life-long learners, accept only quality work from themselves, and demonstrate a strong work ethic.
Job Summary and Responsibilities
- Commit to teaching one-on-one and/or small groups of students for least a semester (16-20 weeks)
- Build positive relationships with students, families and colleagues
- Have a flexible attitude and disposition
- Accept, implement, and grow from feedback
- Internalize and annotate lesson plans to meet the needs of groups of students
- Follow a structured tutorial model
- Participate in professional learning to gain important aspects of the role
- A minimum of 6 months of tutoring experience as a private tutor, teacher assistant (TA), or teacher/tutor fellow (i.e. Teach For America, AmeriCorps)
- Successful completion of a minimum of 1 year in university
- Attend a 4-year university with a major in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics
- Minimum university GPA of 3.0
- Standardized test score must be in the 90th percentile (see ranges below):
- ACT: 29+
- SAT: 1400+
- AP: 3+
- GRE: 160+ Verbal, 160+ Quantitative
- GMAT: 700+
- Complete online application, diagnostic assessment, interview, and mock tutoring session
- Reside in the Chicagoland area (permanent resident or university student)
- Have a reliable mode of transportation (CTA, Metra, or private vehicle)
- Former student of Chicago Public Schools (CPS)
How To Apply
1. Apply using the application link: https://forms.gle/wbsEpmKBE8DoR3gP6
2. Make sure to upload the following documents in the application form.
- College Transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
- Standardized test scores (screenshots are acceptable)
- Resume (resume should include list of subjects that you are experienced in tutoring and at least 1 reference)